Sunday, June 10, 2007

yeah, another poem

HEXAGRAM 36

Darkening of the light. I haven’t seen you

for weeks. Meadows unfold brocade

acres of embroidery, brodaiea


& meadowlark. Even here, back to the sun

I keep thinking I could meet you

Yellow book says: Be crazy.


If there is no bread, taste the stones.

Suck this bitter stem. If there is no water,

Wait. Rain tastes of tears or kisses.


Missing your life, find it. Throw it away.

Hawks fly from the dark daily

double winged, single hearted



(I did a series of poems based on the hexagrams of the I Ching; Hexagram 36 is indeed "Darkening of the Light". This one was published in a relatively local magazine called Soujourners (not to be confused with the excellent spiritual/political magazine of the same name printed, I think, in DC and edited by Jim Wallis. I think.)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 12, 2007 7:10 AM , Blogger Marly Youmans said...

brocade

acres of embroidery, brodaiea

Hmm. Like that encrustation next to the casual speech...

 
At June 13, 2007 1:42 PM , Blogger Jan said...

I like the "commands" amidst the lovely lyrical language....
I am suddenly being intrigued by poetry again.
Please write more!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home