Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Love-in-a-mist, and a poem



You Thought My Mouth Your Remedy

You thought my mouth your remedy.

Well, the world survives even kisses

& tears & comes again to its own

birthday in a blur of white


The hyacinths are open, those sugared

flowers, star pillared

& temporary & the crocuses

licked with flames. Oh yes, I was shaken.


But it’s worth it, living

to watch these hills again

with my clear eyes, to see

the once-mated birds come back


all along the branches

I thought it was death, the dark

wood, but look: everywhere

These spinning Catherine wheels


this sexual present, petal

& stamen, unwrapped so perfectly



(yes, the flowers, although they are very much Catherine wheels, and are named the devil-in-hiding as well, are far from being the poem's hyacinths. But we take botanic license in my region. The photo is by my daughter, at the edge of the parking lot garden.)

2 Comments:

At May 31, 2007 10:26 AM , Blogger Hydra said...

beautiful

 
At June 04, 2007 9:11 AM , Blogger Marly Youmans said...

And somehow I can't help but think of Lawrence's torch flowers, his sensual abundance embodied in flowers...

I'm enjoying seeing more of these.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home