Saturday, October 20, 2007

the yellow dog poem

YELLOW DOG INVITES

The yellow dog invites my animal

body back into this world

though we are older, white

at muzzle, gnarled of muscle


We run the dirt roads

under the hawk flash

& over the green fields, tongues

red in the sun spiked air


Such perfume of skunk & dung

So much rejoicing, mud & sprout

& our live blood pounding

The yellow dog says we need this


to leap like deer

to risk everything

I have a poet friend who says we all write at least one dead dog poem. This was a live dog poem, in honor of Buddy, written years back. He died today, very peacefully, nearly 16 years old as near as we can figure.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At October 25, 2007 8:52 PM , Blogger Lori Witzel said...

Ah...so sorry he's gone, and so glad he was so loved.

 
At October 26, 2007 5:55 AM , Blogger MB said...

I'm sorry. It's a wonderful portrait.

 
At October 31, 2007 2:38 AM , Blogger Robert said...

Jarvenpa, forgive my poor geography but I trust you have not been affected by the troubles with fire. Your tracks on blogs I visit seem to have faded out. Hope all is well.

 
At October 31, 2007 10:53 AM , Blogger jarvenpa said...

Thank you dears. Don't worry Robert, I am in the far north of the state of California and safe from those particular fires--the recent southern ones. It has simply been a very busy time involving day and night care of various family members and critters pretty continuously since the end of July. Hope to find time to update blogs, and comments thereupon, soon.

 
At November 01, 2007 4:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I miss reading you ,my dear jarvenpa!
I'm very "into" my kids ..and working on my first book (for kids,hmmm..).
Have a terrific day!
Foulla

 
At November 01, 2007 9:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's still sniffing and leaping and risking, back there in that place of inaccessible time--

 
At November 03, 2007 2:50 PM , Blogger david santos said...

My friend, Please!

Send an email to the Brazil embassj your country and repor the injustice that the brazilian courts are making with this girl
Release on Flavia’s accident and status of the process.

The resignation is to stop the evolution. (David Santos in times without end)

Thank you

 
At February 23, 2008 9:04 PM , Blogger R.L. Bourges said...

followed the link from Lori Witzel's blog. Am reading through your poems and paused on this one to leave you a note. I love the clarity of the naming that you do.
Will come back for sure.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home