Saturday, June 28, 2008

IN THIS AUTUMN LIGHT

I wanted only good news, angels

from a blue sky, gentle

rain on my face: your intelligent fingers

I wanted news from all


directions, silver papers full of stars

confetti & confections & all signs

declaring Yes

pure happiness is possible


clear as a cup of spring

water, inevitable & shining


but my astrologer never visits me

& mail, all purple stamps & promises

takes a wandering course

through the countries of despair


& desire’s canyons. My first love

writes from Paris “Le Volcan is still

here, & the bakeries & gleaming

fruit stands” He sucks the sweet


pulp of blood oranges

in the cool Parisian sunlight, his love


squinting for the camera, juice

running through their fingers. “Yes

hold it!” I call across the oceans

“it is too precious to throw away”


meaning orange juice mornings & wishes

true love, hope, & all the heart’s

brave confidence in this temporary life.

With chemo her long bright hair falls


Across my bed I scatter all the cards

like the blackbirds’ flight through morning


I long to read your face

to learn the transient & lovely

blaze of fully greedy bodies

in this autumn light. More rain.


No news, my life, from you.



So, no, it isn't really autumn. But with the fires burning all around me as I type, it does feel like a smoke filled, hot early autumn day. Rain would be good.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At April 02, 2009 4:49 PM , Anonymous marly said...

This one I felt that I understood first because of your prose, so I didn't have that "first reading" sensation at all but rather a sort of confirmation of something already known. Odd.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home